You Are Reading

OUGD505 - What Is Good - Way-finding, Iconography & Map

I made a start on some of the way finding for the inside of the exhibition. I basically just had to mock this up because it would of been too difficult and costly for me to create the vinyl stickers and photograph it. This way, I can fully propose exactly how I would want the way finding to look. I used a mixture of stock images and the ones I taken at the Tate visit to create the desired work.


Floor Plan








This is how the basic floor plan will look for each floor. The floor that your currently on will be printed in white vinyl and the other areas will be in black vinyl. There will be different shapes of pink paint dropped behind this vinyl, but the majority of the wall will be white, with wooden floors. 



Cloakroom



I wanted to carry on the humorous conversational tone throughout the way finding inside and outside of the exhibition. I also wanted to get the point across that it's very British! Here is a mock up of how the clock room / rail might look. I have used the quote..




"drop off your tennis racquets* here"

with a translation at the bottom, just in case people don't understand the cockney rhyming slang for "coats and jackets".



Toilets





Carry on the conversational tone and the very British lightheartedness, I used a much more common cockney rhyming slang phrase in "Jimmy Riddle", which of course translates to Piddle, meaning Wee. So...

"need a jimmy riddle, toilets are this way."




Toilet Signage 






I also created the signage for the actual toilet doors, sticking along the same route using humour by crating these simple but bold line illustrations of a man and woman crossing their arms in an attempt to hold in a wee! These icons fit with the rest in the set...



Iconography




I created a full set of icons for the way-finding in the exhibition. I kept a consistent style by drawing up these super simple but bold line drawings. I kept all the lines the same weight and tried to keep the same simplicity throughout the logos to really make them not only easy to understand but also work as a perfect set together. 

L-R : Cloakroom, Cafe, Bar, Shop, Ticket Office, Cinema Screen 



Cafe (Pie Dish)





Bar (Pint of Beer)




Cinema Screen (ReeltoReel Camera)




Ticket Office (Stubs)




Shop (Bag)





Museum (Front)






Applying to Map





Here you can see how i'm starting to apply these to my map. Work In Progress. 



Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.