You Are Reading

OUGD505 - What Is Good - Embossing / Foiling / Award Nominations

As part of the award Ceremony, which is the second part of the Festival, I decided to create the Award Nomination Cards to go along with the award itself. I thought that this would have to be a little bit more 'classy'. There is not many made so more money could be spent on the finish and process. I decided that I would use a thick card stock to print on and would also emboss the front and foil the back of these cards.


Design






I went for a stark clean look for the invitations. My original plans was to either use black foiling or even gold because of what it is and symbolises, it would be relevant. 





Plates



I didn't have much faith in these relieved faith. It was hand cut using mount board and although the edges were pretty neat, there was still bits of fraying mount board so I didn't think that this would have any good results. I thought it would be worth trying anyway as I'd heard that using mount board created a really nice plate for embossing paper.


I also created a standard acrylic plate, which is much more dense. I feel that this would be able to emboss into the mount board fairly easily.



Emboss Attempts





These are some experiments with the mount board plate and they worked surprisingly well but only on thin stock which wasn't really good for what I wanted. 


You can't really see this because it barely worked on the very thin pink stock when mounted onto something thicker. 




The cleanest results came from the acrylic plate onto the thick mount board which is perfect for what I wanted really. 





Stock



I used a thick mount board stock which was black on one side and white on the back. This would be perfect for me as I couldn't use the thin neon pink stock, and think it might be not classy enough to use for this particular product.I decided sticking to black and white would be the best option.  



Foiling






I used a black shiny foil for the back of the nomination card and used a laminator to feed it through to get the desired effect. The results we're really good but it was difficult to photograph it looking good...






You can sort of see from these images how the reflective foil works in the light. 



Final Cards











Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.