You Are Reading

OUGD505 - What Is Good - Collage / Poster Development

I wanted to bring in a hand rendered approach to be reminiscent of some of those punk / DIY element coming through from both British Independent Film and the Brand and Identity. I thought I could achieve this through some of the promotional material for the campaign and also through the use of photographic imagery...


Poster Concept 

The concept was to take image stills from some iconic British Independent Film and edit them using black and white imagery and maybe some sort of halftone if needed. After this is done, re-print the images and then manually collage them up using the logo and the neon pink stock. Once collaged, re-photograph this piece of work in order to get 3D qualities in the work.

First, I digitally created the designs before re-creating them manually to make sure I had the exact look I would be happy with...




This Is England




I selected this iconic image still from the classic British Independent Film, This is England. I felt that i could make this work more with the logo because all of the characters are sat down. I thought maybe the body shapes could work well placed onto the flat shapes of the logo, created a new scene within my new brand.   





I used Photoshop to cut out the characters carefully and created the layer with a transparent background. 

I also made the image Black and White to fit the colour scheme, and also halftone the image to crete a 'gritty' effect, reflecting the punk movement and the ideas raised in the film itself. 






I then applied these images to the background colour and logo to create a composition that I was happy with. This would now be ready to manually be collaged in a similar fashion. 




Collage

I used the original images I had generated and printed them out, cut them out, ready to be hand collaged. I combined this with the logo to create my exact original design and then applied it to the neon pink stock.





I had this idea from some of my original compositional experiments that if I didn't glue the separate elements down, then it might create a nice 3 Dimensional effect, making it appear as though the characters are genuinely sat there. 






This idea worked a lot better than I originally thought it would have done, so I generated another image of this just by photographing the collage from above. I made sure it was good quality and evenly straight so I could then bring this back into photoshop to edit it, before applying further body copy type explaining the exhibition and then finally re-printed and distributing. 





Kes




I used this image still form the classic British Independent film, Kes, as another variation from the original This is England one. This image was great for me because the crossbar the boy is sat on would fit nicely into the logo and design. 




I cut off these sections and repeated the same process as before. I also included Kes (the bird) from another image. 





I tried suspending the bird using a bit of white thread, but this wasn't really as successful as hoped. In the end i settled for the original idea. 






Trainspotting 



I played around with various other films, one of which being Trainspotting as seen here, but this is possible directions in which the concept could be developed further in the future to keep up to date. 
















Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.