You Are Reading

Design Principles // Type and Grid // Putting the layout together

so i started putting my layout together using my thumbnail sketch as a template. I wasn't sure about the image i was using or the typefaces but i knew the layout i wanted and an idea of the image and type so i could look on the internet for some reference.


Thumbnail Design.
I found the images i needed from the internet and edited them in photoshop. I wanted to work in black and grey for this particular design. 
Here are the three images for the boxed images on the left side of the double page spread...




I also already had the image of the girl that i had previously been working on in photoshop...



I began to layout my type on the page. I roughly estimate the pt size of the type by using the thumbnail as a template. If i was doing it a different way. I would of measured up my type on the thumbnail then multiplied it by however big my page is. However i was using an off-size grid therefore thought it might be easier to use the thumbnail as a template and match everything up to my girds. 

I added in the title font, header and bodycopy all at once. I knew i wanted to keep the font simple but classy and probably sans serif so i went with Helvetica for the body copy and Bebas for the Title. A nice simple but classy combination...


I layed the type out to make sure it fit perfectly. The 'Let's Get' title went in the first column. The 'Kicking' title went across all three columns and the header went in across the first two columns. I then fitted in my body copy in the first two columns. 


I made sure all the column lined up and added in the 3rd column on the opposite page. 



Added in the banner at the top and bottom of the page as well as the three images i edited in photoshop. I brought them in to line up with the type. 





Finally, i added the most important image of the girl kicking to finish the spread. 


I didn't like the placeholder text used in the body copy just because i generally find it a little bit distracting. I got some type from an online article and placed this into my spread instead which makes it look more realistic. 


Final Outcome

I think i have really improved the layout from what it originally was. I wanted to make it much more classy and a little bit more contemporary and i feel i have done this. I am happy with the result seeing as i am not a master of InDesign yet and am looking forward to learning more about this piece of software. 

I also felt that i put together the piece a lot quicker than if i was to do it without the initial design. This is a much better way to work as a professional. 













Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.