You Are Reading

OUGD404 // Heirachy Of Type // Zombie Type Continued

Hybrid Typeface

I decided to revisit the 'Zombie' mash-up type and this time try some digital experimentation. I decided to take two of my favourite and iconic typefaces and mash them together to form a brand new typeface.




The typefaces i chose to use were Helvetica Bold and Cambria. I chose to use these two in particular because they are popular, well known typefaces and i also wanted to experiment with merging a serif and sans serif font.

I also chose to work with capitals as a personal preference...




I layed the two typefaces on top of each other, using helvetica at a lighter colour so i could see what was going on. I then lined it up so that the areas that i wanted to thicken up was the same for every letter, then i simply cut out parts of the letter and merged them together to formed the serif, san serif mash up. 

Hybrid Typeface

Here is the final typeface. I feel that there are some areas that don't quite fit and it needs tidying up in areas and  re-visiting at a later date but overall i am really happy with the result of this hybrid typeface. I wasn't sure how it was going to come out but it has worked out well. It looks like a pretty legit and usable typeface.



Generally i have started to learn more about the anatomy of type and i feel that doing experiments like this can definitely help me improve my knowledge and skills.


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.