You Are Reading

Alphabet Soup - Typeface - Design Ideas


Photo of a design sheet i have been working on, jotting down some initial ideas for my typeface. I took five of the key words from the questionnaire, then came up with five more words that are associated with or mean the same thing as each word. 

I then picked two words at random from the selection of 25 words. I ended up with 'Sea' and 'Movement' . From this i created five variations of the letter 'A' that are influenced by both these words. I then did the exact same thing and chose 'Reptiles' and 'Fall' and created five variations of the letter 'B'. I think this has helped me think about how i can link in traits of Josh's personality to a typeface without making it look cheesy and too obvious. 

From this basic starting point, i plan to look further into Josh's personality and Interests before making a final decision on what to influence my typeface from. I want to keep the type pretty subtle, in a way. By this, i mean that i want to create a type that you wouldn't straight away know who it represents, but has a more deeper meaning. Or maybe i want to make just certain aspects of the type such as the curves, shoulder, counter, ascenders, decenders, tails, loops and lobes be influenced by certain traits in Josh's personality. 

I will research more to narrow the words or things that i want my type to be influenced by, then i will do more research on existing typefaces, and start to look at which existing font i can use to base my final design from.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.